Thursday, December 31, 2009

DIY Ghetto Wizard Gut Hack



Ok. So I've been using poverty/Fleabay wizards ie. Chinese wireless flash triggers. I generally have not had many problems with them so haven't considered plopping down serious $$$ for the oh so coveted Pocket Wizards. I started strobing last year after coming across the all-mighty-himself, David Hobby, and his Strobist site. Changed my life. Anyways, as I was saying, generally did not have much problems then it all hit the fan and of course when... during a fashion shoot for a magazine. I have 4 lights, all triggered via poverty wizards so you can see why I was reluctant on plopping down for 5 pocket wizards at $188 a pop. I had to revert to backup plan and shoot corded and rely on slave modes. I decided it was time to upgrade. Research led me to Cybersyncs. Got em via UPS yesterday. Now comes the problem of how to hook all of these to hot-shoe flashes as the poverty wizzes have a built in hot-shoe. I am shooting 2 nightclub events, first time shooting in that kind of environment, and am following K10D: Bar/Nightclub photography tips. The poverty wizards are no longer a trusted option so going to use the Cybersyncs as I don't want to deal with cables around people who are dancing. So basically, one hand-held light off-camera and want to make a convenient wireless solution with my new trusty Cyaberyncs.

A: the not-so trusting "Poverty Wizards" Pt-04. They served me well in learning strobing but not reliable anymore for my needs.

B: One of my pt-04 receivers died after a year so I noticed it looked like the Cybersync could fit snugly into the body after removing the bottom portion with my dremel. I took the 1/4 to mini cord, (won't use) that came with the Cybersync, cut it and soldered red wire to the lead (center) of the hotshoe of the pt-04, white wire to the ground. Added a zip tie to prevent the wire from being pulled out and drilled a hole for the cable to peek through.
C: this is temporary use so just taped up the space that was left and around the unit at the bottom.
D: the completed unit :)