Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The eye mind of a photographer

I was asked to make a piece or two for the Olbrich Gardens Art Invitational for early 2011. Quite an honor as it seems they don't ask many photogs. I was excited then it hit me. My work will be next to some of best artists in the area. Then the next blow. This place is one of the most photographed places in the city if not county (not talking about dad's point and shoot pics at graduation on campus). So I have to create, or "capture" since photographer's aren't "artists," something unique that people haven't seen before that will still represent the essence of being there. I have the rest of the year to figure it out so let's start shooting. First choice, this unique Thai Sala and garden. Boasted as the only one of its kind in N. America. Well, that's unique! There is another in Hawaii, which I have seen, and one in Germany which I have not. People come from all over the world to see it... and photograph it.
Step one: Perspective. There are reflecting ponds on both sides. So those kind of shots have been done. Nothing too original but they have been done with standard lenses and you really can't beat that aesthetic. So I slap my fisheye and bam, something new. The perspective is interesting and especially in vertical mode as the pool's corner is 90 degrees. The fisheye gives it a weird acute angle and some nice framing to lead the eye which you won't get with a standard lens.
Step two: Details. The Sala has a gorgeous ornate ceiling but is lost in shadow. Photographers need to be ready to add light since their job is to "capture light." When you can make, add, subtract, modify and shape your own light, you are really onto something. Otherwise, you have what everybody else has. So I decide to pop a light from the bottom of the center of the Sala up toward the ceiling. Of course I have to do this wirelessly because of the distance and it being out of site/line. I run back and forth a few times to get the right setting on my flash and kablam, I drop it. Don't know how many more tumbles this thing is going to take. Widest setting @ 28mm and full power will do. Now to get this shot before my batteries drain. Look at that gorgeous red and gold contrast. Oh, the Sala is gold plated so now it's glowing from inside and out making it even more magical.
Step three: No blown out skies. First shot exposed for bright spots in clouds fails. No reflection in the water, foreground goes dark. Now what? Could use a graduated ND filter but not on my fisheye. Would have to put it on my 18-55 losing the unique effect from my fisheye. I put a light on a stand and pop the front. I get the pool edges back but still not a good enough reflection but I like the detail I am getting in the cement so I leave it. OK, so I'm going to have to shoot multiple exposures and do an HDR or blending.. which is a slight problem as there is a slight breeze with moving clouds as a storm is coming in and some rippling in the water which may cause problems for my main attraction - the reflection. Luckily my Pentax K-7 has a burst rate of 5.2 FPS which is way better than what I am used to on my K200D which has 3 FPS. I begin to spot meter the bright spots in the clouds and the dark spots. Whoa! A typical 3 exposure deal won't cut it. I meter around and make sure I get one for the reflection as well as darks and brights. 20 minutes or so later since I got there, I push the camera and blast the 6 shots. Phew! That was a lot of work and the mosquitos are fat and happy. I'm just fat and sweaty :) and it's starting to rain so I'll also be wet in a few
Step 4: post/editing:
I do my HDR merge and adjust for my liking. Not happy with the sky so I bring up blue saturation in Photoshop. And there you have it. Not sure if it'll make the final cut but it's a contender.