Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Pentax K-7 Video

Got my new Pentax K-7 yesterday. I got the camera since I shoot in manual and need the controls on the exterior. Didn't think much about the video functionality until a friend of mine recently asked me about it and I honestly don't know much about it. He told me it was a huge trend that more filmmakers, assuming amateurs, are making the switch to DSLRs that shoot HD video. After some quick research, I found they are supposed to be great in low light and you can shoot through all sort of great lenses. So I have a fisheye that would be fun to shoot with but what else? It's way to cold out to be screwing around so for my first vid shoot I wanted something I could do around the house. Anyone who knows me knows that sunsets are my thing. Now how to translate that to video and use a unique lens. Lightbulb! Shoot some ice on my window with my macro lens with a sunset in the back. As I experimented for the first time with the camera, I noticed some changes and went in a different direction. As I waited, the ice started to melt from opening the inside window. I then focused on the melting ice and saw this cool close up version of what happens when ice melts. As water droplets formed and separated, the top part of it would refract the sunset light behind it and turn a golden color. It was way cool. So I added some music to accompany it and now there is a story. This is a raw video file, not cgi, of ice melting using my 70-300 macro lens. Time hasn't been changed, colors haven't been added. It has only been rotated since shot in portrait mode. Volume is low so may have to turn it up.


As the winter ice melts the journey to spring commences. Each change of state from ice to water is brought upon from the warming sun. Its energy is captured and transferred. With every melting drop formed, we are one day closer. Sunset after sunset go by, drop after drop until the ice is no more. Like sand falling from an hour glass until it's final destination. The end of winter.